Elementary Peace in The Family: Parent & Caregiver Workshop
What is a Peace in the Family Workshop?
Peace in the Family is a workshop for parents and caregivers of children of preschool age through early adolescence. Children learn how to manage their feelings and resolve conflicts first and foremost from what their parents model.
Yet many parents wish they had the know-how to deal effectively with the challenges of parenting at various developmental stages. This workshop helps parents learn skills that support positive parenting practices to enhance and maintain “peace in the family.” Peace in the Family was originally developed as the parent component of the Resolving Conflict Creatively Program.
How will Peace in the Family help my school?
All the adults in a child’s life share in the task of raising and educating decent, caring, and responsible children. Yet, communication between home and school are too often disconnected. Parent involvement is an increasing priority for school districts across the country, and Peace in the Family can help bridge the gap between home and school.
Through Peace in the Family parents and teachers can work together to:
- Help students develop social skills, emotional competencies, and qualities of character that increase interpersonal effectiveness and reduce aggressive, anti-social behavior, bullying and harassment, and intolerance
- Create safe, caring, respectful, and disciplined home and classroom environments that promote healthy development and academic success for all students
Peace in the Family workshops can increase the sense of community among parents and faculty, and foster parent understanding and support of classroom based efforts in conflict resolution, character education, and social and emotional learning.
What does the Peace in the Family workshop include?
Peace in the Family is an eight to ten hour interactive workshop that can be scheduled to meet the needs of the school community. Modules include:
- Being a Child: Introduction to issues affecting children’s development and their responses to conflict
- Sometimes We All Can Win: Creative conflict resolution
- Talking It Out: Promoting peace through effective communication
- “Peace-ing” It Together: Cooperative strategies for reaching agreement
- Supporting children’s learning at home and at school
Parents will learn specific strategies for challenges such as: managing their own anger and expressing feelings without hurting others; defusing children’s anger and hostility; communicating in ways that de-escalate conflict; setting limits and figuring out what’s negotiable; establishing family problem solving routines; and preventing typical conflicts.
ESR can tailor your Peace in the Family workshops to include topics that are a priority in your community.
To find out how Peace in the Family can serve your school or district, call 800-370-2515 ext. 19 or fill out the form below to have us contact you about a customized quotation for our services.